Sales Process Consulting
Putting data in a CRM is a start. But it’s not nearly enough.
“If you can’t describe what you are doing as a process, you don’t know what you’re doing.”W. Edwards Deming
When people talk about sales process or sales operations, they’re usually thinking about their CRM (Salesforce, HubSpot, etc). But let’s be honest, salespeople hate CRMs. Inputting information takes time and can feel like a slog, especially when they aren’t sure the information is useful to everyone in the field. A strong sales process is the backbone of a high functioning sales organization, leaving a lot of questions that need to be answered when it comes to demos and a process.
For many organizations, the middle of the funnel is where deals go to die (often slow, painful deaths). Clients drag out decisions, because change is hard. They need to see that change is better than the status quo. The best way to keep deals moving is to deliver compelling presentations that show value; and, if there isnâ€
How do you know your sales processes need a second opinion?
- The “first line” demos (delivered by an SDR/BDR/LDR/etc) either aren’t converting well enough, or are converting TOO well (too much junk in the pipeline)
- Deals are stuck around stage 3 – the deal death zone – and aren’t converting. Even when salespeople offer things like a free Proof-of-Concept (POC) or trial (sometimes especially when salespeople offer things like a free POC or trial)
What goes wrong with sales processes?
- Sales stages focus on internal processes and not customer behavior, so forecasts are based on activities vs customer buying cycles
- Salespeople don’t know what to do when deals get stuck, so they keep offering things to “keep the deal alive.” This is often because they didn’t identify and communicate value to the customer sooner, so they need to make up for it later on.
- POCs don’t have success criteria built in (beyond “it works with our data”), so play with the software, but no one knows how to identify if the POC was successful
- Salespeople don’t like to close out deals, and often are incented not to, even when the deal should be closed
How Demo Solutions can make your sales processes better
Demo Solutions looks at your sales process from start to finish as a unique cycle, not just in stages, and pays close attention to the exit criteria. We provide clients with documentation of what is going right, and what is going wrong in their sales process, using our signature Audit format.
Let’s audit your sales processes…
We look at sales process from start to finish – not just what happens at each stage, but also the exit criteria for each stage. Then we look for a few specific things
- Who is demoing, and when – for example, are the subject matter experts being brought in too early
- When are demos happening – does the team understand the customer’s needs before conducting a demo? For a POC, has value been identified (how can something be proved when no one knows what it is)
- What is being shown to customers, and who is the typical audience – are they seeing the right features and are benefits clearly identified for all of the roles in the room
…and make your processes better
Sales is expensive – salespeople and sales tools are often one of the highest costs for companies. And it’s not just the obvious costs like travel, but less obvious costs like salaries and technology. If a demo environment is spun up for a client who doesn’t need it or isn’t ready, the company has to pay the cloud/hosting costs. Additionally, if senior people are delivering demos early in the cycle where a junior person can deliver something “good enough,” those expensive resources can focus on higher value tasks like winning deals. So sales ops consulting projects often have a clear ROI.
Bonus: our packages offer tools to make things easier operationally, including professional grade CRM and sales tools from HubSpot.
Check out the latest from our blog
Why we use demo identities? What are demo identities? What is an identity? Without going all the way back in time, depending on what framework you are working within, we are going to refer and discuss the concept of identity within a sales organization. How are Identities within Sales Orgs Built and What purpose do… Read More »Why We Use Demo Identities
How to repair team dynamics in 2021? Just when you thought team dynamics were ready to be healed in 2021, after the 2020 elections and pandemic politics, came capital insurrections. How do we move forward as a team of individuals with differing politics? As leaders, this is a super challenge, as coaches, it is near… Read More »How to Repair Team Dynamics in 2021
Demo Solutions Leadership Training Embracing Humanness is part of our new content focused on positive psychology and emotional intelligence. Embracing humanness is a big important subject in leadership for 2021 and is completely nebulous without referring to concepts that reject humanness such as perfectionism, imposter syndrome, and tangentially, exclusion. How to we, as leaders, embrace… Read More »Demo Solutions Leadership Training Embracing Humanness