Deadly Demo Phrases
You could be risking your deal without even knowing it
In The Sixth Sense, Haley Joel Osment (you didn’t remember his character’s name either) famously said: “I see dead people…they only see what they want to see. They don’t know they’re dead.” This is a lot like what happens during sales presentations and software demos. Deadly Demo Phrases
We’ve seen quite a few demos and presentations during our Demo Audits
In our Demo Audits
The Deadly Demo Phrases
are deal killers. The extreme Demo Fails. The phrases that, when you say them, you might as well pack up your laptop (or turn off your Zoom) and go home.
Slow your roll
- Thanks for taking the time to meet with us today. We are from Vandelay Industries, and we are here to tell you that we can deliver a 564% ROI, and no other vendor can do that.
- Let me kick this intro meeting off by telling you about one of our customers. And, if you want, you can talk to them after this meeting!
Narrating the demo
- Let me tell you about our founder/history/story
- There’s a lot on this slide, but let’s go through it
- We’re going to leverage our unique expertise in cloud technology to drive digital transformation and create a single source of truth. That way, you can have a 360 degree view of your customers, all in a single pane of glass.
- This is the big picture, blue sky thinking
I’ve made a huge mistake
- Can I just interrupt [my colleague] to say…
- Hey [sales engineer] – can you show the audience [feature the SE wasn’t planning to show]?
- Our technology will make you so efficient that you can reduce headcount by half!
Let me Google that for you
- I don’t know if this applies to your business, but…
- I assumed you were in the sales business, but you’re just in manufacturing?
That’s my story, and I’m sticking to it
- I know we’re moving quickly, but I have a lot to show you and want to make sure we get through everything.
- You may not have asked for this, but I think it’s important so let me show you